Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: email@example.com
NEHAWU to march to the Department of Higher Education and Training in relation to University of Mpumalanga
7 November 2018
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers' Union [NEHAWU] will deliver a memorandum of demands to the Department of Higher Education and Training [DHET] in relation to the mismanagement and alleged corruption at the University of Mpumalanga tomorrow in Nelspruit.
As NEHAWU, we have continuously tried to engage the university management without any success. Our efforts of trying to build cordial relations between ourselves and the management have dismally failed as a result of intransigence management. Instead of resolving issues tabled, this management decided to intimidate and victimise both members of NEHAWU and SASCO.
We have been veraciously complaining about issues related to irregular appointments, mismanagement of funds, alleged corruption, unilateral changes of policies and ineffective university council. All our attempts to reason with the management have been continuously ignored hence we elected to mobilise members so that a memorandum containing demands is handed over to the Department of Higher Education and Training.
The national union rejects the misleading rumours that it is responsible for disrupting exams at the university. On the contrary, the reason we are marching is because we want to ensure that the university is run properly so that it is able to undertake its core business of educating future leaders and pioneers who will play a strategic role in the political economy.
We therefore distance ourselves from any action that seeks to disrupt exams and the normal functioning of the university. We have chosen the 8th November 2018 for our Provincial Day of Action against the university in order to submit the list of our demands. Our action tomorrow will be led by NEHAWU General Secretary and joined by COSATU, SACP, YCLSA, COSAS and SANCO.
The aim of the march is to sharply raise the following demands, amongst others:
- Removal of the Vice-Chancellor with immediate effect
- Dissolution of the University Council
- Place the University under administration until the nomination of Representative Council
- Forensic investigation of all university activities
- Full implementation of section 197 LRA
- Due process be followed with regard to the renewal of contract of shop steward of NEHAWU
- Withdraw all the unnecessary charges against student leaders
- Allow all students activists to take part in SRC elections
- All irregular appointment must be investigated and reversed
- A concentrated effort must be made to involve and develop more local construction companies in the building of the University
- Recognize OCASPO and other Business Forum as a key stakeholder in the Development of off Campus Student Accommodation projects
The Department of Higher Education and Training will be given an ultimatum to respond to our demands and failure to respond favourably to our demands will leave us with no option but to embark on a protracted strike action at the university.
Members of the media are invited to attend and to cover the march.
Details of the march:
Date: Thursday November 07, 2018
Assembly time: 10am
Assembly point: Riverside Government Complex
The memorandum will be delivered at the University [Corner R40 and D725 Roads, Nelspruit] at 12h00.
For more information please contact NEHAWU Media Liaison Officer, Cde Khaya Xaba, at 082 455 2500 or firstname.lastname@example.org visit NEHAWU website at www.nehawu.org.za