Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: email@example.com
COSATU Today | COSATU Press Statements
SACCAWU MEMBERS VOW TO INTENSIFY THEIR STRIKE AGAINST SUN INTERNATIONAL
SACCAWU members; who have been on strike since the 4th of December this year; have noted that the Company; led by its Chief Executive Office David Coutts-Trotter; has not demonstrated any serious commitment towards finding an amicable settlement to the current dispute and strike. Members have further noted that the morale amongst members is still high notwithstanding police brutality, reminiscent of the Apartheid repression; coupled with provocation by management. Members have further noted that the Company has not been negotiating in good faith as it has since reneged from an in principle agreement that had been reached at the CCMA whilst the Company’s CEO has failed to provide leadership as he did not demonstrate any commitment towards finding an amicable settlement at a meeting convened; at his behest; on the 21st of December 2009.
In this context members have reiterated their support for the following fair, reasonable and just demands as they have contributed through their sweat blood and tears to building Sun International into a giant that it is today:
• An across the board increase of 13%;
• The extension of the scope of the bargaining unit to cover some Union members who currently do not benefit from collective agreements;
• Payment of tips to employees;
• An end to averaging of working hours;
• A substantial increase in the proportion of core employees in all Units and departments;
• A reasonable increase to the night shift allowance.
As a consequence of the Company’s intransigence the Union has developed the following programme of action aimed at intensifying the strike:
• Staging of mass marches to the Sun City and the Wild Coast Resorts on Thursday the 31st of December;
• Intensification of picketing with special focus on the 31st of December at all Units;
• Organising secondary strikes by Union members employed in other Companies at all SISA Units commencing on the 31st of December;
• Mobilisation of local communities for an effective boycott of Sun International until the dispute is resolved;
• An aggressive campaign for international solidarity in support of the strike.
We also wish to thank punters and South Africans who have generally demonstrated their support for our legitimate strike. Whilst we are working hard to ensure the success of our programme of action we remain committed to finding an amicable settlement to the current strike.
Head Office 0114038333
Ivan Molefe: 0823365636
Amos Mothapo 0823365240
Mike Abrahams 0761380394
Mduduzi Mbongwe 0823365146