Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: email@example.com
COSATU Today | COSATU Press Statements
COSATU Northern Cape Provincial Congress
23 July 2012
The Congress of South African Trade Unions in the Northern Cape held our 2nd Provincial Congress from 20-22 July 2012 at the Mittah Seperepere Convention centre in Kimberley. The delegates to that important gathering of the workers were welcomed by the Executive Mayor of Sol Plaatjie Municipality, Ms Agnes Ntlhangula.
Our Provincial Congress was addressed by the Provincial Chairperson of SANCO, the Provincial Secretary of the SACP and the Provincial Chairperson of the ANC after the Provincial Chairperson of SANCO, the Provincial Secretary of the SACP and the Provincial Chairperson of the ANC after the Provincial Chairperson had formerly opened the meeting.
The Congress was graced with the presence of the President of COSATU Comrade Sidumo Dlamini who delivered an inspiring keynote address which was anchored on the unity of COSATU and the broader Alliance.
The theme for our congress was “Intensifying the struggle for economic emancipation of the working class and the poor” and the discussion and resolution of the congress were guided by this theme.
The 2nd Provincial Congress of COSATU noted the growth of the federation in the province both qualitatively and quantitatively. In that spirit the congress took the following resolutions:
- The functioning of the alliance in the Province must be improved and alliance partners must be committed to a common political programme.
- We will call for an urgent meeting of the Alliance to deal with the challenge of the erosion of political depth through mass political education.
- There is a need for an alliance Political Commission to drive the political programme of the alliance.
- Service delivery must be improved at local level in order to rebuild the confidence of our people on the ANC.
- The alliance must be represented in the council caucuses of the ANC at all levels.
- We welcome the resolutions of the ANC policy Conference and hope that the Mangaung Conference in December will endorse them.
- The Unity of the Federation and the Alliance must be defended at all times and leaders must subjugate their personal interests of the Alliance.
- We welcome the pilot programme on NHI and call for the acceleration of the full implementation.
- We will intensify our fight against corruption both in government and the private sector.
- The growth of membership in the past three years was as a result of the commitment by the affiliates to building a stronger COSATU.
- The affiliates that have seen a decline will be assisted to embark on a recruitment campaign.
- We welcome the recent election of Dr Nkosazana Zuma as a vote of confidence by the African Countries on SADC and South Africa in particular. With the track record that she posses, there is no doubt that she will work hard for the transformation of the AU in making it an effective body.
Our Provincial Congress was the most united and resolved on building a stronger federation in the run-up to the 30th Anniversary in 2015.
The unity of COSATU in our Provincial Congress saw the unanimous election of the four office bearers. We emerged out of our 2nd Provincial Congress more united and focused on taking forward the working class struggles.
For more info please contact the COSATU Northern Cape Provincial Secretary, Anele Gxoyiya, @ 082 829 1961