Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Centre | COSATU Press Statements
28 August 1998
COSATU attended a meeting convened by NEDLAC in terms of Section 77(1)(c), to consider the dispute on privatisation of water and other municipal services.
COSATU presented the following six demand to the meeting:
1. An immediate stop to all privatisation of basic services.
2. The immediate reversal of all privatisation processes in Nelspruit, Dolphin Coast and Tygerberg; and
3. That government consults labour and communities in implementing public sector service delivery.
4. Greater co-ordination between government ministries to ensure that there is no undermining of government legislation and policies.
5. All collective bargaining agreements should be honored.
6. The review of local government funding to ensure increased service delivery.
The meeting did not conclude its business. A working group will meet in the week of the 1st September 1998. A follow up meeting will take place on the 8th September 1998 at 14h00.
In the meantime the Nelspruit Local Authority have agreed to delay the signing of the contract with BI-Water as previously announced, pending a resolution on the COSATU Section 77 notice.
Nowetu Mpati COSATU Head of Communications
Tel: + 27 + 11 + 339-4911 Fax: + 27 + 11 + 339-2281 E-mail: email@example.com